Monday, March 7, 2011

Mineral Deficiencies

Recently, I've noticed that Lucy doesn't quite look the same as she did when she first came to us. She seems to be going gray. I'm sure that at a mere two years of age she isn't anywhere near ready for the old goat folk's home. This premature graying must be due to a mineral deficiency. You can see the difference in these two pictures.

At 5 months

  
At 2 years - photo courtesy of Lori Eanes

I have read that goat coats can get scruffy and dingy if the critters are not getting enough of what they need, especially copper. I looked into getting a product called Sweetlix® but everyone in the area was either out or didn't have the kind I needed. Someone actually tried to sell me the mineral mix for goat and sheep, which would do me absolutely zero good since there isn't any copper in the mix because it's extremely toxic to sheep. So I ordered Hoegger's Golden Blend Minerals and some copper boluses off a lady that I found through a thread on Homesteading Today who takes apart boluses for calves and puts them in smaller capsules that a goat can swallow. She sells them at cost. Since I only need 4-6 boluses to get me through the year, this was more economical than making my own. Let's cross our fingers that Lucy returns to her lovely golden brown color soon.

Lucy isn't the only one around here looking a little lackluster. I know I told you all that I would be cleansing at the beginning of this year (including a colonic which I've decided to skip for now), but of course I procrastinated on that for weeks and now here we are in March and I have done zilch to curb my caffeine and sweets addictions. In particular, my fondness for black tea has gotten completely out of hand. In less than two weeks, I have consumed over 100 tea bags. No joke. Over 100. It's real bad. My poor adrenals are begging for a break, along with my kidneys and liver. I may be loaded with antioxidants, but I'm sure that hasn't done me a darn bit of good since all of my vitamins and minerals have surely been depleted.

After having investigated a ridiculous number of cleanses, I've settled on the Clean Program. What makes that one so great, you ask? Well I like the fact that you are eased into the cleanse by eliminating things such as caffeine, sugar, wheat, dairy, red meat, and processed foods before you begin. During the cleanse itself, you have a liquid breakfast and dinner, and a real meal with protein and permitted grains for lunch. This supposedly gives the body a good amount of time during the night to do it's job of "taking out the trash" so to speak, while simultaneously rebuilding with plenty of nutrient dense foods. This seemed perfect for me since I need to eat a decent amount of food on a daily basis as I have a wicked fast metabolism. I know for some of you there is a snarky little voice in your head shouting, "Um yeah, that's called being lucky!" I promise it's not as awesome as it sounds. At various times, I've been told that I look like I escaped from Auschwitz or asked, in all seriousness, if I had cancer. The best was when some over zealous psych student approached me with a "I know what you're doing and you're going to kill yourself that way" diagnosis. And before anyone out there thinks, "God, I wish someone for once would think that I had anorexia," I say no, no you do not. Nobody in their right mind wants to be accused of having a mental disorder that they don't have. That's crazy.

I digress.

I know you all are wondering why I need to detox since I am thin and, of course, the healthiest eater on the planet with my omega-3 rich eggs, easily digestible raw goats' milk, and nutritious veggies sprouting from every corner of my yard. Ha! Little do you know that I harbor secret lusts for coca-cola, bacon, and In and Out burger. Anyone remember this?


As a wee child filled with optimistic ideas about a culturally united world, the carbonated beverage folks, with a moral compunction no better than that of the tobacco industry, infiltrated my impressionable young mind with this little number. Though, I don't drink as much of it as I did in my younger years, I have been a coke (the drink) addict ever since I can remember. Now that we know the caramel coloring causes cancer, I should really consider suing for damages. My friend Robyn tells me that since I know it's bad for me. I can't sue in good consciousness. I don't agree with that logic.We successfully took the tobacco companies down, why shouldn't we take on the soda giants?

Again, I digress.

I was also inspired by the physical transformation of Melinda (One Green Generation) on the Clean diet. Shit, I want to look and feel that good! Bring on the green juices and quinoa. I'll check back in around the beginning of April with before and after pictures. I'm so looking forward to my future radiance.

Wish Lucy and I luck on our journey back to health and well-being.

6 comments:

  1. hope things work out with your adorable goat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to do a cleanse to try and undo some of the damage I've done while in school. My body feels awful, some because of stress but also I know I've been eating too much crap the last couple of years. I'd like to hear more about your experience when you do this one. Looks pretty good.

    I sure hope the copper helps Lucy. And yes, I remember that video

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I thought I was the only organic garden nut who was secretly addicted to junk food!!! It's a bitch, isn't it? I've had to go on an elimination diet for my eczema/food allergies - it's horribly strict and depriving, but I do feel a lot better, and it's forced me to try new foods that I now love. I can't wait until I can have eggs and cheese again, though.

    (long time reader, first time commenter, BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get overwhelmed reading about what goats need and what might go wrong. It is hard to get it right, but you are very observant and she is a lucky goat.
    I loved that commercial! That was even before high fructose corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Terena - I'll keep you posted on the progress. Day 1 of the elimination diet and I've only had a mild headache. I'm bracing myself for Wednesday.

    @ Kristina - Glad you finally commented. I love to know that I'm not just babbling out into the ether. I'm going a whole month without dairy and eggs, which seems counter productive since that's what I seem to have the most of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this program is awesome! I have done it and still have a shake for breakfast everyday. The first week is tough but once you start removing the toxins its amazing how much better you will start to feel. Are you reading the book too? I read it at night and found it to not only be informative but motivated me to keep going. Whoohoo i am so excited for you, good luck! I hope the copper helps Lucy she is lucky to have such a good goat momma.

    ReplyDelete